Florida State University

Coverage and Discussion of Projects Underway within the City of Tallahassee and Leon County.

Moderators: SPC II, tfmurr8019, florida

User avatar
stjoe
Metro
Metro
Posts: 589
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:33 am

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by stjoe » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:57 pm

seminole wrote:FSU has some grounds to cover in research, but news look promising:
Taxol, over a period of years, generated $350 million for Holton and FSU, the most ever generated through a licensing agreement in the United States and Canada, including the University of Florida’s Gatorade, Edington said.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2 ... 509683001/
FSu has a LOT of ground to make up. It wasn't able to turn that $350 into a machine that consistently competes.

seminole
UrbanPros
UrbanPros
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:33 am

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by seminole » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:23 pm

stjoe wrote:
seminole wrote:FSU has some grounds to cover in research, but news look promising:
Taxol, over a period of years, generated $350 million for Holton and FSU, the most ever generated through a licensing agreement in the United States and Canada, including the University of Florida’s Gatorade, Edington said.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2 ... 509683001/
FSu has a LOT of ground to make up. It wasn't able to turn that $350 into a machine that consistently competes.
If there is a will, then there is a way. Proud of FSU....GO NOLES!!!!!!

User avatar
tricknole
Metro
Metro
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:33 am

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by tricknole » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:49 pm

I'm not sure what Taxol has to do with FSU's future research endeavors. That's over and done with. FSU has achieved paltry research growth over the last 15 years.

seminole
UrbanPros
UrbanPros
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:33 am

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by seminole » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:16 am

I never liked the location of this facility on Tennessee Street:

http://www.wtxl.com/news/fsu-s-departme ... 11852.html

User avatar
stjoe
Metro
Metro
Posts: 589
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:33 am

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by stjoe » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:37 am

tricknole wrote:I'm not sure what Taxol has to do with FSU's future research endeavors. That's over and done with. FSU has achieved paltry research growth over the last 15 years.
That money was supposed to be reinvested to push FSU forward. It is struggling to compete in a few areas with multiple in state schools (only 1 is AAU). A percentage of that $350 Millino (around $90 Million today) was placed in an endowment to insure future research. Seems pretty clear Taxol SHOULD have much to do with future endeavors. I think FSU has failed to take advantage fully. I like much of what they have done, but it is not enough, FSu has to step up it's game.

User avatar
stjoe
Metro
Metro
Posts: 589
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:33 am

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by stjoe » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:41 am

[/quote]

If there is a will, then there is a way. Proud of FSU....GO NOLES!!!!!![/quote]


Is there a will? FSU has still yet to address it's med school and it's unique mission for example. Won't touch the COE issues. I am very proud of FSU, but beyond just slogans, FSU has VERY real issues and concerns that I am not certain are being addressed. Watch the last 2 FSU Research VP talk at the BOT meetings, it was less than one would hope is an understatement.
Last edited by stjoe on Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
StrikerObi
City
City
Posts: 470
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:35 pm

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by StrikerObi » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:50 am

I'm glad the Target development finally forced FSU's hand to move the Anthropology dept to somewhere (anywhere) more suitable. It should not have taken that long (over a decade!) to find them new space.

User avatar
downtownster
City
City
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by downtownster » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:12 pm

StrikerObi wrote:
downtownster wrote:
StrikerObi wrote: FSU has acquired a few properties near Westcott. Namely, they now own Bill's Bookstore and it's assumed that it will be re-branded to the FSU Bookstore. Also acquired in this area are two adjacent properties, 530 W College Ave (former Sigma Nu house). It will likely be demolished. Right nextdoor, they've acquired the former Christian Campus Fellowship building, an old Victorian style house at 524 W College. They aren't sure if it'll be demo'd or re-purposed.
IMO will be ashamed if the Christian Campus Fellowship bldg gets demo'd. Very atrractive. Similar to the Rotary House on West Jefferson they are vestigates of what the area once looked like. My guess is it will be the wrecking ball. Florida, wasnt this your listing?

So is Bills Bookstore no more?
The sense I got from the meeting was that they are hoping to re-purpose the CCF house. It is quite nice.

And yeah, it really is the end of an era with no more independent bookstores. It seems to me that internet retail pretty much drove them out of business.
I was driving down West College yesterday and saw they demolished the old CCF house. Really ashame. Very disappointing. I dont expect much in the way of preservation in this city. Funny there was originally a fairly plain house Im told was by the old capitol then got mvoed to Crest St, my hood, before I arrived in 2000. The house then was moved to Stearns/Mosley area near the cement plant soon to be The Enclave and now got moved again, still in Stearns Mosley but just away from The Enclave. How many houses get moved 3 times in its life. Crazy, eh?????

User avatar
florida
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 5504
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:32 am

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by florida » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:13 pm

That was my listing. I sold the building/property last year for a decent dollar which gave me comfort in the belief that it would stand for a while. It was a well preserved structure originally built around 1909-1910 by a University professor for he and his family... "The Williams House". The structure behind it was an office with an apartment above it constructed out of a barn that existed prior to the 1900s and the two story red brick apartment building on the property, also well maintained, was constructed in the early 1940s.

Weeks ago I was riding over to show someone the property that I'd sold, so proud of what it might become to FSU and low and behold... there's a hole in the ground. Everything, EVERYTHING was wiped away as if it never existed. I sat in my car in front of the property for about 2 minutes in disbelief before I drove off. I could only think of how proud my client (CCF) was of the property and how they had maintained it over these years. The rapid action to demolish this building was extremely painful for me to witness.

User avatar
thedoorlatch
Village
Village
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:14 pm

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by thedoorlatch » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:28 pm

florida wrote:That was my listing. I sold the building/property last year for a decent dollar which gave me comfort in the belief that it would stand for a while. It was a well preserved structure originally built around 1909-1910 by a University professor for he and his family... "The Williams House". The structure behind it was an office with an apartment above it constructed out of a barn that existed prior to the 1900s and the two story red brick apartment building on the property, also well maintained, was constructed in the early 1940s.

Weeks ago I was riding over to show someone the property that I'd sold, so proud of what it might become to FSU and low and behold... there's a hole in the ground. Everything, EVERYTHING was wiped away as if it never existed. I sat in my car in front of the property for about 2 minutes in disbelief before I drove off. I could only think of how proud my client (CCF) was of the property and how they had maintained it over these years. The rapid action to demolish this building was extremely painful for me to witness.
Sorry to hear that man. I don't really think there's anything you could have done differently to prevent it from happening. Sometimes developers do crappy things.

User avatar
downtownster
City
City
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by downtownster » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:19 pm

florida wrote:That was my listing. I sold the building/property last year for a decent dollar which gave me comfort in the belief that it would stand for a while. It was a well preserved structure originally built around 1909-1910 by a University professor for he and his family... "The Williams House". The structure behind it was an office with an apartment above it constructed out of a barn that existed prior to the 1900s and the two story red brick apartment building on the property, also well maintained, was constructed in the early 1940s.

Weeks ago I was riding over to show someone the property that I'd sold, so proud of what it might become to FSU and low and behold... there's a hole in the ground. Everything, EVERYTHING was wiped away as if it never existed. I sat in my car in front of the property for about 2 minutes in disbelief before I drove off. I could only think of how proud my client (CCF) was of the property and how they had maintained it over these years. The rapid action to demolish this building was extremely painful for me to witness.
who bought? I could easily look it up but just tell us. FSU? I was stunned too.

User avatar
chudan
Metro
Metro
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 9:44 am

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by chudan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:09 pm

downtownster wrote:
florida wrote:That was my listing. I sold the building/property last year for a decent dollar which gave me comfort in the belief that it would stand for a while. It was a well preserved structure originally built around 1909-1910 by a University professor for he and his family... "The Williams House". The structure behind it was an office with an apartment above it constructed out of a barn that existed prior to the 1900s and the two story red brick apartment building on the property, also well maintained, was constructed in the early 1940s.

Weeks ago I was riding over to show someone the property that I'd sold, so proud of what it might become to FSU and low and behold... there's a hole in the ground. Everything, EVERYTHING was wiped away as if it never existed. I sat in my car in front of the property for about 2 minutes in disbelief before I drove off. I could only think of how proud my client (CCF) was of the property and how they had maintained it over these years. The rapid action to demolish this building was extremely painful for me to witness.
who bought? I could easily look it up but just tell us. FSU? I was stunned too.
FSU BOARD OF TRUSTEES

Kind of looks like FSU and the State are buying up everything from McComb west to the campus. If that's the case, pretty soon all that is left is going to be the Greek houses. Its a natural expansion area for FSU, and I guess they do have some ability to 'turn the screws' on the frats and sororities if they want their land as well.

User avatar
florida
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 5504
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:32 am

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by florida » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:07 pm

Yes, Florida State University was the buyer. In dealing with them I had every reason to suspect the buildings would stand for a while for one purpose or another. I had no suspicion they would raze those buildings that way... that quickly. It would have been kind of them even to offer to allow CCF or the community to come and take a scrap from the building to commemorate its history. I just thought it was a sad and heartless move.

User avatar
tricknole
Metro
Metro
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:33 am

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by tricknole » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:27 am

I have zero objection to them razing the house.

User avatar
thedoorlatch
Village
Village
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:14 pm

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by thedoorlatch » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:57 am

tricknole wrote:I have zero objection to them razing the house.
yea historical buildings suck i hate them too

User avatar
chudan
Metro
Metro
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 9:44 am

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by chudan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:43 am

Perhaps one of Tallahassee's best tourism opportunities is historical tourism. I know in some communities, if the site is needed for re-purposing an effort is made to move and preserve the home for historical tourism possibilities.

User avatar
downtownster
City
City
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by downtownster » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:28 pm

chudan wrote:Perhaps one of Tallahassee's best tourism opportunities is historical tourism. I know in some communities, if the site is needed for re-purposing an effort is made to move and preserve the home for historical tourism possibilities.
Moving and preserving occurs alot in communites that have a historic preservation mentality. We cant have serious historical tourism here because there just so little left so lets get on with plowing the rest down so we are down to zero.

User avatar
Afturn
Village
Village
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:40 am

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by Afturn » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:00 pm

thedoorlatch wrote:
tricknole wrote:I have zero objection to them razing the house.
yea historical buildings suck i hate them too
On this, we agree

User avatar
LCpro
City
City
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:21 pm

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by LCpro » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:08 pm

florida wrote:Yes, Florida State University was the buyer. In dealing with them I had every reason to suspect the buildings would stand for a while for one purpose or another. I had no suspicion they would raze those buildings that way....
I'm not sure they were supposed to since the price they paid was based upon the buildings having significant value. The tax payers of Florida just paid $1.8m plus demolition costs for .40 of an acre of land(they paid $625K for the .20 acre and building next door). Wonder how they could have possibly justified that?

User avatar
stjoe
Metro
Metro
Posts: 589
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:33 am

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by stjoe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:41 pm

This board is funny. Sometimes it loves to run on about NIMBY holding back Tally and then in similar circumstances it yells NIMBY.

FSU is growing. Old outdated buildings often get town down. While the buildings were nice, nobody was traveling to Tally to see them. FSU has VERY limited resources and ALL land around the area is expensive. People have feelings here and I get that, but FSU did nothing wrong, this is just overreaction. Two things can be true at the same time (despite the INSANE world we live in insisting this can't happen). FSU did nothing wrong AND it's a shame we lost an old building.

User avatar
LCpro
City
City
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:21 pm

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by LCpro » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:10 pm

The price of the land is a direct result of the Boosters getting involved in college town. Now, FSU - or the tax payers of Florida I should say- can't afford any land within a square mile because the Boosters/College town developer is (over)paying $40/SF to build apartments and bars that there are already plenty of. This isn't a "NIMBY" issue; this is exactly what I and others said would happen if the Boosters got involved in College Town - 80%+ the land that was planned for the next 25+ years of University expansion is now improved with apartments, bars and vacant retail spaces. Yes, it looks nice; much better than the old industrial improvements. That doesn't change the fact that a large percentage of that land was marked for future school expansion over an extended period of time. This was my biggest concern - few people wanted to consider the problems that would arise for FSU if all the surrounding land got developed. Now we have just paid two and a half million dollars for what amounts to a parking lot just over a half acre in size.

User avatar
thedoorlatch
Village
Village
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:14 pm

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by thedoorlatch » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:33 pm

Afturn wrote:
thedoorlatch wrote:
tricknole wrote:I have zero objection to them razing the house.
yea historical buildings suck i hate them too
On this, we agree
I was being tongue in cheek :V

User avatar
tricknole
Metro
Metro
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:33 am

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by tricknole » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:15 am

thedoorlatch wrote:
tricknole wrote:I have zero objection to them razing the house.
yea historical buildings suck i hate them too
Limited historical significance. Limited value to FSU as it currently stood. Nobody even knew that thing existed until a few months ago and nobody will care that it's gone.

Not everything that's old needs to be preserved.

User avatar
tricknole
Metro
Metro
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:33 am

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by tricknole » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:28 am

LCpro wrote:The price of the land is a direct result of the Boosters getting involved in college town. Now, FSU - or the tax payers of Florida I should say- can't afford any land within a square mile because the Boosters/College town developer is (over)paying $40/SF to build apartments and bars that there are already plenty of. This isn't a "NIMBY" issue; this is exactly what I and others said would happen if the Boosters got involved in College Town - 80%+ the land that was planned for the next 25+ years of University expansion is now improved with apartments, bars and vacant retail spaces. Yes, it looks nice; much better than the old industrial improvements. That doesn't change the fact that a large percentage of that land was marked for future school expansion over an extended period of time. This was my biggest concern - few people wanted to consider the problems that would arise for FSU if all the surrounding land got developed. Now we have just paid two and a half million dollars for what amounts to a parking lot just over a half acre in size.
There was going to be development along a redeveloped Gaines with or without FSU/Boosters. And once that development occurred, property values would've still increased and made southward expansion difficult for FSU.

User avatar
thedoorlatch
Village
Village
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:14 pm

Re: Florida State University

Unread post by thedoorlatch » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:56 am

tricknole wrote:
thedoorlatch wrote:
tricknole wrote:I have zero objection to them razing the house.
yea historical buildings suck i hate them too
Limited historical significance. Limited value to FSU as it currently stood. Nobody even knew that thing existed until a few months ago and nobody will care that it's gone.
that's certainly an opinion you can have man

Post Reply