Cobb Theater - Fallschase VC

Coverage and Discussion of Projects Underway within the City of Tallahassee and Leon County.

Moderators: SPC II, tfmurr8019, florida

UrbanDesign
Megalopolis
Megalopolis

Re: Cobb Theater Fallschase

Unread post by UrbanDesign » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:47 am

Yay! A new theater is going up!

gatoremt

Unread post by gatoremt » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Dirt is being moved today.
Griff    
Waze Map Editor - State Manager Alabama, Florida & Georgia

jmgnole
City
City

Unread post by jmgnole » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:35 am

Big time movement now. Runoff/orange fences everywhere. Big toys, moving big piles of dirt. I'll try and get some photos later today.

morcom850
Pit Stop
Pit Stop

Unread post by morcom850 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:42 am

IMG_3841.JPG
Here's photos of the current progress as of June 30 2017. I'll update bi-weekly if there's interest. P.s how do I have it not flip my photos?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chudan
Metro
Metro

Unread post by chudan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Wow, that's an awful steep grade they are working on!!! :o :lol: :P ;)

jmgnole
City
City

Unread post by jmgnole » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 pm

Talked to folks today, and it looks like August 2018 is the new target date. They've talked to three or four national chains to come in as the restaurant on the south end. No names given.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gatoremt

Unread post by gatoremt » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:13 am

This is Great news!!
Griff    

nole172
Burg
Burg

Unread post by nole172 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:13 pm

fallschase theater ground clearing 2017072 sm.jpg
Ground clearing has begun. This was 7/2/2017.

Never sure these projects are going to get off of the ground until the bulldozers start working.

gatoremt

Unread post by gatoremt » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:54 am

I saw that the Democrat finally posted something about this the other day. I saw it floating around facebook.
Griff    

downtownster
City
City

Unread post by downtownster » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:30 am

gatoremt wrote:I saw that the Democrat finally posted something about this the other day. I saw it floating around facebook.
Front page of the Dem today.

"Smith said he's not just doing the Cobb Theatre. There's more to come, but he declined to offer further details."

jmgnole
City
City

Unread post by jmgnole » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:35 pm

This is really moving along. They're saying Fall of 2018, and I wondered why it might take so long. A lot of iron going into this building. Big iron. A friend is doing the HVAC insulation on the project and he says that it's really high end, with nothing left to chance. I guess that we'll get to see the screens by Halloween.

jmgnole
City
City

Re: Cobb Theater - Fallschase VC

Unread post by jmgnole » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:40 am

CMX Cinemas acquires Cobb Theaters. This could make things interesting.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/pamdanzige ... bd04c02729

UrbanDesign
Megalopolis
Megalopolis

Unread post by UrbanDesign » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:57 am

I saw this last year. I dont think much will change.

jmgnole
City
City

Unread post by jmgnole » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:12 am

I missed the sale. I was looking at Cobb Rewards and things like that, and stumbled across it. It's close to my house, so we're pretty interested.

gatoremt

Unread post by gatoremt » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:08 pm

I wonder if this few lines it going to help or hurt in Tallahassee? Will be interested in seeing what happens over the next few motnhs.

"These luxury-class of movie theatres are the next big trend in movie experiences. While market leader AMC, for one, has experimented with this model, it hasn’t gone as far CMX and others in elevating the experience. Regal, the other big multiplex player, has largely ignored the trend. As a result, AMC and Regal’s fortunes depend primarily on the blockbuster -- or not -- movie offerings coming out of Hollywood.

CMX and others of its ilk do not. Castelazo explains “CMX has set a new standard, starting in Miami, in the guest’s movie-going experience. Its overall design is inspired by a luxury hotel lobby design, two bars, a luxury upstairs lounge, full-service dining experience before, during or after your movie and laser technology.” Such added amenities make these theatres true destinations, and as a result, tend to attract more mid-week audiences than traditional movie theaters, he tells me.

And these audiences will pay higher ticket prices and spend significantly more on their dining experiences. An added benefit, Castelzo notes, is that, “Luxury cinema-goers tend to be more frequent and heavy visitors vs. a traditional theater-goer due to the amenities and services available.”

They also want more sophisticated movies to watch. So these theatres show movies that film aficionados want to see. Not just blockbuster movies, but foreign, indie and award-winning and nominated films that appeal to an upscale, educated and artistically-inclined audience."
Griff    

StrikerObi
City
City

Unread post by StrikerObi » Tue May 01, 2018 5:07 pm

Alamo Drafthouse has been ahead of the curve on this trend by about 20 years. They've created spaces for real film nerds to come and enjoy movies. They do all sorts of special events, and really cater to their audiences. They show crazy found footage ahead of their films, instead of advertisements. Their "no talking, we will seriously kick you out" policy is the best. I wish we had something like that here.

UrbanDesign
Megalopolis
Megalopolis

Unread post by UrbanDesign » Thu May 10, 2018 8:28 am

Anyone bummed that the site has been sold?

Im hoping NAI Talcor maintains it.

tfmurr8019

Unread post by tfmurr8019 » Thu May 10, 2018 1:43 pm

I'm sure Florida will still be contributing to the site. I don't think much will change, what does change might be welcomed.

chudan
Metro
Metro

Unread post by chudan » Thu May 10, 2018 4:00 pm

I guess the question one has to ask is what is the target market for the CMX approach and is there enough of that market in Tally to support it.

gatoremt

Unread post by gatoremt » Sat May 12, 2018 4:31 pm

chudan wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:00 pm
I guess the question one has to ask is what is the target market for the CMX approach and is there enough of that market in Tally to support it.
This is what I am worried about.
Griff    

chudan
Metro
Metro

Unread post by chudan » Mon May 14, 2018 5:13 pm

UrbanDesign wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:28 am
Anyone bummed that the site has been sold?

Im hoping NAI Talcor maintains it.
I'm kind of concerned about that. One of the nice things about the site being 'independent' is there is not much concern about spin regarding projects under a particular ownership or affiliation.

UrbanTallahassee
Pit Stop
Pit Stop

Unread post by UrbanTallahassee » Thu May 17, 2018 9:56 am

Please be assured that our commitment is to maintain neutrality within the local marketplace as it pertains to sharing information through UrbanTallahassee. Our goal as a source of information is to be all-inclusive, and maintain the legacy that TJ built over the last decade with UrbanTallahassee.com.

zargon1978
Village
Village

Unread post by zargon1978 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:57 am

Please be assured that our commitment is to maintain neutrality within the local marketplace as it pertains to sharing information through UrbanTallahassee. Our goal as a source of information is to be all-inclusive, and maintain the legacy that TJ built over the last decade with UrbanTallahassee.com.
This statement worries me. It suggests: 1) there will be no neutrality within the non-local marketplace; and 2) there will be no neutrality within the local marketplace either, outside of our sharing of information on forums. NAI TALCOR might, for example, write stories only about their properties and show only those stories on the front page to the exclusion of all others. Sure, site members can share information on the forums. But the website will change. It will no longer be neutral.

And I get it. NAI TALCOR didn't purchase UrbanTallahassee as a magnanimous gesture to the community. The company intends to monetize this site for its benefit. It offered the owner a price he would accept in exchange for his relinquishing ownership, and it will seek the fruits of its investment.

gatoremt

Unread post by gatoremt » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:10 pm

A lot of progress has been made on the theater. There is a Hiring trailer out front across the road from it.
Griff    

jmgnole
City
City

Unread post by jmgnole » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:39 am

They have a Job Fair on June 30 and July 1. IT's on FB.

I heard a rumor of an August opening. Friend of a friend, sort of thing.